Roof Moss Removal -
- The roof cleaning is done using a plastic brush to remove moss.
- Downspouts are protected to prevent moss from entering them.
- Groomed landscape and personal property are assessed and protected as needed from flying moss and dirt.
- Smaller, more settled moss on the roof is rinsed loose using a standard garden hose with a stream nozzle.
- Gutters are emptied (since we generally fill them with moss).
- Remaining bits are treated with high quality, effective Organic treatment, killed in place and left to shrink and weather off.
- If you're available, we show you around, answer questions and alert you to any concerns.
- We leave that day having removed 80-90% of your moss off of your roof.
•Plastic Bristle Brush •Non-Pressurized Rinse •Organic Treatment
Want to try this yourself before calling in a professional? No problem, check out our Do It Yourself page for some product recommendations.
How Do Other Companies Do Roof Moss Removal?
Potentially Damaging Methods:
Pressure Washing - Removes all moss and algae. Risk factor: Often indiscriminately removes shingle granules the moss was clinging to and anywhere that is cleaned... (Like ripping live ivy off a painted house...it'll come off and so will your paint.) Worker must be very skilled to avoid removing excess granules and lifting shingles or when working around fixtures and must be properly insured to pressure wash roofs (specific insurance provision). The pressure power washing method leaves root systems behind, so the algae will often return rather quickly.
Metal/Wire Brush - Allows for spot removal and removes difficult moss. Risk Factor: Unyielding metal bristles easily damage shingle edges.
"Low Pressure" Wash - Removes moss and algae. Risk Factor: Worker must be very skilled to avoid removing excess granules and lifting shingles or when working around fixtures and must be properly insured to pressure wash roofs (specific insurance provision).
Somewhat Less Invasive Methods:
"Soft Wash" - Removes moss and algae with the combined use of pretreatment chemicals and a low pressure wash. Risk Factor: Worker must be very skilled to avoid removing excess granules and lifting shingles or when working around fixtures and must be properly insured to pressure wash roofs (specific insurance provision). Chemicals used to pre-treat roof require experience and caution to guard landscape and drainage from coming in contact with chemicals. Many contractors who use bleach will use the term "Soft Wash". They may even tell you they are using sodium hypochlorite which is the chemical name for bleach.
Chemical Pre-Treatment and Delayed Removal - Full size moss is killed in place and left on the roof. Weeks later a worker returns to remove it. Not terrible if you don't mind a roof full of chemicals and dead moss while you wait. This often takes repeated applications to achieve even marginal results. Risk Factor: Chemicals used to pre-treat roof require experience and caution to guard landscape and drainage from coming in contact with chemicals.
Pressure Washing -
- Personal property, landscape and drainage are all carefully looked over before we even set up our machines. Delicate items and gardens are covered or moved out of the way.
- We only pressure wash a surface if pressure washing is the best option (or your direct request). Many surfaces can be more gently cleaned, at the same price, by other means. Siding, decks, gutter face and fencing are examples of opportunities for gentler methods. See images below.
- When finished we do our best to put everything back as it was found.
- Though some evidence of the cleaning is unavoidable, we are very conscientious with regard to plants, siding, windows and anything else we get dirty. All gets a gentle rinse down.
Images below show results achieved using alternatives to pressure washing. Hover for caption.
Gutter Cleaning -
- Downspouts are cleared, filters and traps are cleaned and covers are rinsed.
- Gutter cleaning isn't rocket science. Leaving your property as clean as when we arrived can be. We take this personally and take great care with the debris, gutter face and proper clean up.
- If you have overflow issues, basement leaks, pooling water at ground level or rusted areas...odds are we'll be able to see why during the cleaning. And yes, we're happy to explain anything and discuss options for hired or self-repair. See Do It Yourself page for examples and more info on gutter systems (coming soon).
Window Cleaning -
- We treat your home better than if it were our own. Shoes off? Delicate floors? Super-Friendly pets? Chaotic kids' rooms? No problem. Seriously, don't sweat it.
- Biodegradable solutions only.
- Tape, plaster, paint, bird imprints, sap, calcium deposits and other random things can be removed. Point these out during the estimate to be sure.